Can you do an Ironman?
I am very excited today. I train with a group of athletes from Emerge Triathlon Training and yesterday, a guy in our group named Alan completed Coeur d'Alene IronMan 2009. This is such a huge feat. To be able to complete 140.6 grueling miles during one event is a feat for anyone.
I have only recently met Alan and he told me that he was very excited about getting the race done. He had been pushing his body for 7-8 months to get ready for this event. Then yesterday, he was able to do what he had set out to do. He swam, biked and ran for right under 15 hours to be able to call himself an Ironman. Great Job Alan!!!
The cool thing about this whole thing in my opinion is-
- With the right mind set, almost anyone can do an Ironman ( including myself )
- The body adjusts to the pressure it receives ( any Ironman can attest to this )
- You cannot expect miracles overnight, this takes time.
- You have to have a great support team.
- You have to rest as hard as you train.
- You have to stay focused.
- 2.4 miles in the water is a long way.
- 112 miles on the bike is a long way.
- 26.2 miles on the run is a long way.
- Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do it, like Nike says.... Just Do It!